We are blogging librarians, teachers, parents, illustrators, authors, and literacy passionistas. Share a Story - Shape a Future
is a collaborative venue to share ideas and celebrate everything reading has to offer our kids.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Share a Story-Shape a Future: Selecting Reading Material Day


"I can’t imagine my life without books- the many overflowing bookcases in my house and classroom are a testament to this. When I began teaching I discovered the lack of middle school teachers who blog and set out to make a difference. I read and review all the books I place in my classroom library and hope that my reviews can help other students, parents, teachers, and librarians choose the perfect book."


Sarah Mulhern


Day 2: Selecting Reading Material
hosted by Sarah Mulhern at The Reading Zone

-- Sarah's Host Post: Selecting Reading Material

-- Eeny, Meeny, Miny, May- Which Book Do I Choose Today? The ABCs of Reading: Infants, Toddlers & Preschoolers - Valerie Baartz on The Almost Librarian

-- How to Help Emerging Readers - Anastasia Suen @5 Great Books

-- I Don't Know What I Want to Read Next: Helping Middle Grade Readers - Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone

-- Read Alikes and Booklists - Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone

-- Using Non-fiction for Read Aloud - Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of Reading, hosted by the Stenhouse blog

More Great Posts
Share a Story Day 2: A List of Picture Books - MotherReader
Finding Great Kids Books - Read, Talk Share - Marge Loch-Wouters


** Please be sure to visit all of our bloggers ... and please leave comments! Our goal for the week is to share information. If you put up a post related to the day's theme, be sure to include that link in your comment at the host's blog. Periodically throughout the day, I will be updating my post at Scrub-a-Dub-Tub with those additional links, just like we do for Nonfiction Monday and Poetry Friday.



Share a Story - Shape a Future images created by The Book Chook and Elizabeth Dulemba.

4 comments:

Kim Baise March 10, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Wow! There's so much wonderful information on your post! Thanks, I'm going to dive in now :)

Anonymous,  March 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

I volunteer with my local Literacy Volunteers. We'll tutor anyone over 18. It is amazing to me how many people make it through our educational system without knowing how to read.

Developing literacy at a young age is crucial! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous,  March 11, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

Check out Reading Is Fundamental's free parent guide on choosing good books for children of all ages: http://www.rif.org/assets/Documents/parents/choosing_books.pdf

Terry Doherty March 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

Kim-Thanks, it is amazing how much is out there.
Meg-Literacy Volunteers is a great organization. We've shared children's books with them as a way to engage adults in reading with kids.
Rachel-We love that link. We put it in our resource kit!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Credits

Share a Story-Shape a Future Logo created by Elizabeth Dulemba