We are blogging librarians, teachers, parents, illustrators, authors, and literacy passionistas. Share a Story - Shape a Future
is a collaborative venue to share ideas and celebrate everything reading has to offer our kids.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Writing about Reading: Our first Nominees

The Reading is Fundamental (RIF) staff has selected its first three nominees for the RIF Multicultural Books Giveaway. They read and discussed the ten (!) posts and selected these three as the first half of our ballot. From Carol Rasco, President and CEO of RIF ...


"We were conferring on some other things late tonight, and this was the fun part of the emails going back and forth."

Without further ado, the three finalists from the Monday/Tuesday Writing about Reading prompts are
  •  

5 comments:

Reading Countess March 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

I am so thrilled! I would love to have the books donated to a nearby school. This school struggles to put books in the hands of their readers. It is a Title 1 school, and as such, money for books is at the low end of priorities for many families whose children attend the school. The dedicated staff and instructional leaders are inspirations to not only me, but to their student population. The school's name is Morton Ranch Elementary. The school's phrase is: "a school worthy of your children." I think that says it all.

Happy Birthday Author March 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

Thank you for the nomination as a finalist. It has been enjoyable participating in this event throughout the week. I would choose to have the books donated to Cuyahoga Falls Public Library. This library has given my family so much over the past 4 years. The staff works so hard to provide a variety of programs for the residents of our city. I was recently talking to the head librarian and she is so proud of the efforts of her staff. It would be awesome for them to receive this donation!

Eric Van Raepenbusch

Terry Doherty March 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

I am so excited for both of you. I will get the names and your notes included in our ballot!

Tif Sweeney March 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I saw this earlier, but have been in meetings on and off today and am just getting a chance to pop in!! I have had such a difficult time deciding which school or library to choose because so many are so deserving! I've been able to narrow it down to two, but am unsure if there are any parameters on the size of the programs. If the one I have listed below does not qualify, please let me know. I have another option that is equally deserving!

I would love to donate the books to a small school in my local area called A Time to Discover. It is a small progressive home daycare and preschool. The owner and primary teacher is so passionate and the excitement and learning that is seen in the children (including mine!) is amazing. She has always dreamed of starting her own school, has used her personal savings to create the fabulous classrooms and purchase all of the educational materials, and wants to someday move to a larger facility in order to bring a wonderfully loving and genuine education, full of diversity to a larger population of children! I believe that this donation would contribute to her dreams as well as the children's!! :)

Jen Robinson March 10, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

Congratulations to the nominees!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Credits

Share a Story-Shape a Future Logo created by Elizabeth Dulemba