We are blogging librarians, teachers, parents, illustrators, authors, and literacy passionistas. Share a Story - Shape a Future
is a collaborative venue to share ideas and celebrate everything reading has to offer our kids.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Share a Story 2010 Day 3: Just the Facts : The Nonfiction Book Hook

Kids love nonfiction books. 
That's a fact!


Sorry, I couldn't resist. Before you decide nonfiction = boring, you might want to take a stroll around the village today. Nonfiction - particularly nonfiction picture books - may be the perfect lure for reluctant readers.

At the Reading Zone, today's host Sara Mulhern has two posts. In addition to introducing Day 3 of Share a Story, she has a great piece about pairing nonfiction with fiction in the classroom, complete with reviews of a few science/nature books for use in middle school, she links you to great ideas by other nonfiction lovers.
As has been our practice, we will update the direct links to the individual posts as they go live. You can also follow the discussions on Twitter. We're using the #SAS2010 hashtag.

3 comments:

anna j.,  March 10, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

I LOVE this "campaign" for hooking youngsters . . . thanks to my own early "hook," I try to tell the funny tales of daily life that can be overlooked if we aren't paying attention to the details of each moment: like an "emergency eviction" :-)
http://annajouj.blogspot.com/2010/03/emergency-eviction.html

Tif Sweeney,  March 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

I loved this topic because I think it has probably been the most eye-opening for me! I'm a little late in posting due to some personal events, but I thought I would share with you again just in case . . . http://www.tiftalksbooks.com/2010/03/share-story-shape-future-day-3-just.html

Thanks again for another great day of information!!

Anonymous,  March 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

I have never heard of this series, but I'm going to check them out. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Jenny

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Credits

Share a Story-Shape a Future Logo created by Elizabeth Dulemba