We are blogging librarians, teachers, parents, illustrators, authors, and literacy passionistas. Share a Story - Shape a Future
is a collaborative venue to share ideas and celebrate everything reading has to offer our kids.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Writing @ Reading: Questions for Day 1

Welcome to our daily post with writing prompts! Here is where we will pose several questions about unwrapping the gift of literacy.

Note: Usually we pose our questions at 6:am, but in order to allow our hosts to open the event, we've delayed posting today's questions until 9:am.

Today's questions are designed to complement the theme The Power of a Book, which is co-hosted by Donalyn Miller at The Book Whisperer blog and Carol Rasco at Rasco from RIF. Both of these literacy dynamos will not only be sharing their stories about the tangibles and intangibles of having your own books, but they have all-star lineups of guests who will be talking about that, too.

So here we go ... our first three writing prompts for Share a Story 2011.
  • Who was the first person from a book (real or imagined) that you wanted to be when you were a child? Why?
  • When you were a teen, what book character did you most want to be friends with? Would you want to be their friend now?
  • If you could spend the day with three of your favorite story characters, who would they be? Would they like each other?
  • What book resonated with you as a warning of a life on the wrong path?
Just to recap: Our goal with the questions is to reach new places for sharing our reading and literacy experiences and ideas, and we'd love to include your voice, too. Here's how it works ...

1. Select the question(s) that resonates with you.
2. Find an old post or write a new one that answers the question. [Be sure to grab a Share a Story button from the sidebar to include in your new post!]
3. Come back here and link your post either via the inLinkz box or as a comment.
4. (optional) Tweet about your post and include @ShareaStory or the #SAS2011hashtag.

We'll be adding links for the questions all week, so there's no rush to have an answer the same day a question is posted ... unless you are entering a book giveaway contest. Learn more about that here.

Updated with the Contributors for this Prompt series

Jenny Brandon, The Power of a Book at Let Each Achieve Daily
Tif, The "Loft" Children at Tif Talks Books
Eric Von Raepenbusch Share a Story - Shape a Future Day 1, at Happy Birthday Author


InLinkz updates for Monday, 7 March 2011

You're first!



[image credit: Share a Story Logo created by author/illustrator Elizabeth Dulemba.]

4 comments:

Tif Sweeney,  March 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM  

Great prompts for the first day!!! I think that I am supposed to list something in the comments, maybe the school or library that I would wish to receive a prize pack if my selection is chosen? If this is the case, I need to do some more thinking! I will keep you posted!

Eric VanRaepenbusch,  March 7, 2011 at 11:33 PM  

I added my post but I don't see it listed. Here is the URL, just in case I did something wrong:

http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2011/03/share-story-shape-future-2011-day-1.html

Anonymous,  March 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

Tif - We are opening the winners up to families and not just school and public libraries. Stay tuned.

Eric - The link finally made it. I went in at 7:30 and it wasn't there, then poof! it was there at 8. Must be some lag time.

Tif Sweeney,  March 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

I will definitely be staying tuned!! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Credits

Share a Story-Shape a Future Logo created by Elizabeth Dulemba